-0.1 C
Friday, March 31, 2023

Three Terror Arrests After Man Killed in Taxi Explosion

Following a cab explosion outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital that killed the passenger, three men have been detained under terror laws.

The three guys, aged 29, 26, and 21, were apprehended in the city’s Kensington neighborhood and held under the Terrorism Act, according to police.

Armed police blocked off a street in the city’s Sefton Park district on Sunday, and some residents were evacuated from their homes as part of “ongoing investigations into the automobile explosion,” police said.

Early Monday morning, a convoy of seven unmarked vehicles — three vans and four automobiles – approached the perimeter, while officials wearing “Negotiator” jackets were observed crossing the cordon earlier. A fire department was stationed nearby, but most armed cops had allegedly departed by 3 a.m., according to witnesses.

Investigators think the explosion, which occurred soon before 11 a.m., when the Remembrance Sunday quiet was to begin, was not caused by a vehicle malfunction. The flames quickly spread, engulfing the cab in a ball of fire.

The cab driver, who escaped the flames before they spread, has yet to be apprehended. He is in a stable condition, according to police.

The explosion occurred outside the hospital’s main door, and authorities are investigating to see if it was intentional and if the location has any significance. The location is also close to Liverpool Cathedral, which hosted the city’s Remembrance Sunday ceremony.

Police are attempting to determine the name of the deceased guy, as well as any connections that may throw light on the incident.

The inquiry is being led by counter-terrorism police with assistance from MI5, which is in charge of creating counter-terrorism intelligence.

“We are leading the investigation with Merseyside police’s cooperation, and we are keeping an open mind as to what caused the explosion,” counter-terrorism police in the north-west said in a statement. We’re working quickly to figure out what’s going on, and we’ll keep you updated as we learn more.”

Joanne Anderson, the mayor of Liverpool, called the event “unsettling and unpleasant,” and commended the emergency services for their quick reaction.

At 10:59 a.m. on Sunday, police were dispatched to reports of a vehicle explosion outside the city center hospital. Photographs of a burning automobile immediately went viral on social media, as did claims that the bomb squad, police, fire personnel, and the ambulance service were all on the scene.

“Unfortunately, one person has died, and another has been brought to hospital where he is being treated for his injuries, which are luckily not life threatening,” Merseyside police said.

“As far as we know, the automobile involved was a taxi that arrived at the hospital just before the explosion.”

“We’re maintaining an open mind about what caused the explosion, but given the circumstances, counter-terrorism police are heading the inquiry, with Merseyside police assisting.”

“My sympathies are with all those impacted by the terrible event in Liverpool today,” Boris Johnson stated. I’d want to express my gratitude to the emergency services for their promptness and professionalism, as well as the police for their ongoing investigation.”

The three arrests are said to have occurred near Boaler Street in Kensington. According to residents, armed cops pounced on a terrace house on Sutcliffe Street, off Boaler Street, in the afternoon and captured one suspect, according to the PA news agency. As investigations continue, sections of Boaler Street and Sutcliffe Street were closed off, with a large police presence on the area.

A similar police scene was set up on Rutland Avenue in Sefton Park, with anti-terrorism personnel seen in the area. According to witnesses, police came about 1 p.m. and proceeded to monitor a terraced home as the local area was blocked off.

Serena Kennedy, the chief constable of Merseyside police, later reassured her about the event. “While I appreciate that today’s occurrence may generate alarm in our communities, it is important to note that incidents of this sort are extremely rare,” she added.

“In the coming days and weeks, Merseyside police will continue to work with community organisations, community leaders, partner agencies, and individuals to ensure that any issues are addressed and that we deliver the best possible service to local residents.”

“There will also be a larger and more visible police presence on Merseyside’s streets, and I would encourage people to talk to my officers and express any concerns they may have.” She advised people to refrain from making assumptions about what had occurred.

Patients have been moved to other hospitals “where feasible” and visiting access has been limited “until further notice,” according to Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

Carl Bessant, whose girlfriend had recently given birth, was inside the hospital when the bomb occurred. “We were very close and she was nursing the baby when it occurred,” he told the BBC. We peered out the window after hearing a loud boom. “We saw the automobile on fire and someone leap out… screaming, and there was someone inside the car,” says the narrator.

“We are examining our patient activities for the next 24-48 hours,” the hospital stated in a statement. “Patients should wait to be contacted for information about any planned appointments or other attendance at the hospital.”

“Under the observation of Merseyside police, our staff is allowed to leave and enter the hospital.” We’d like to express our gratitude for the collaboration and support of our patients, visitors, and employees who have been affected by this occurrence, particularly those who were there at the time.”

When two fire engines arrived soon after 11 a.m., the automobile fire had “completely established,” according to Phil Garrigan, chief fire officer of Merseyside fire and rescue service.

“The operative personnel doused the fire quickly,” he told reporters at the site, “but there was one casualty, as the police chief constable has stated.” Another person had exited the vehicle before the fire had grown to its current size. Our sympathies are with them, as well as the families of those who have been affected.”

“I am being kept continuously updated on the tragic situation at Liverpool Women’s Hospital,” Priti Patel, the home secretary, tweeted. Our law enforcement and emergency services are working hard to figure out what happened, and it is only right that they be given the time and space they need to do so.”

On Sunday evening, cordons and traffic restrictions remained in place.

The terrorist threat level in the United Kingdom remains at “substantial,” indicating that an attack is likely.

Sir David Amess, a Conservative MP from Leigh-on-Sea in Essex, was killed in an alleged terrorist assault while performing his constituency surgery in October. A guy has been charged with his murder and will go on trial in March of next year.

Most plans thwarted, according to counter-terrorism experts, are inspired by violent extremist Islamist ideology, with far-right ideologies coming in second.

Cedric Blackwater
Cedric Blackwater
Cedric is a journalist with over a decade of experience reporting on local US news, and touching on many global topics. He is currently the lead writer for Bulletin News.

Related Articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Stay Connected

- Advertisement -

Latest Articles