The primary election in New Jersey occurs on June 7. Residents who are members of a political party can vote for nominees from their party in primary elections, who will then confront the opposition in November.
Aside from congressional and countywide elections, two Maplewood candidates are vying for the Democratic nomination for a seat on the five-member Maplewood Township Committee. The committee can elect a mayor from among themselves each year.
The local Democratic Committee has backed both Deborah Engel and Kurt Kiley for the seat in an uncommon move. On June 7, voters will pick one, and that individual will face election in November.
Frank McGehee, the former mayor, has opted not to fight for re-election this year. Deb Engel and Kurt Kiley are vying for the one available seat in the primary. To view their profiles, simply click on their names straight above.
This year, Maplewood residents can vote in the 11th Congressional District contest in New Jersey.
Rep. Mikie Sherrill, a Democrat who was first elected in 2018, currently holds the seat. In June, she will not face a main opponent. In November, though, five Republicans are fighting to unseat her.
Tayfun Selen, Paul DeGroot, Ruth McAndrew, Alexander R. Halter, and Toby Anderson are the Republican candidates. On June 7, Republican voters will elect one candidate to confront Sherrill in November.
The following are some crucial dates and hours for people voting. Use the New Jersey Voter Information Portal to double-check dates and acquire state information on how to vote in June.
- May 31 is the last day to apply for a mail-in ballot.
- June 2 is the deadline for qualified overseas civilian and military voters to apply to obtain primary election mail-in votes by electronic methods.
- Early voting for the Primary Election will be held in person from June 3 to 5. The hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sunday. There is no need to make an appointment.
- The deadline for in-person mail-in ballot applications for the Primary Election is June 6 (by 3 p.m.).
- Voters go to the polls on June 7th to cast their ballots. New Jersey polls will be open from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. on election day.