In connection with a drive-by shooting in St. Paul in 2020 and fleeing police in a car the previous year, a Maplewood man was sentenced to almost five years in prison on Tuesday for breaking the terms of his plea deal with Ramsey County prosecutors.
Last year, Darnell Allen Davis, 30, agreed to a plea deal that would have spared him a year in jail and five years of probation in exchange for his guilty pleas to the two offenses.
Davis was required to comply with a pre-sentence inquiry, refrain from misbehavior, and show up for the sentencing on August 26. Ramsey County District Judge Kellie Charles observed on Tuesday that Davis did not commit any of those three offenses before handing down the maximum punishment permitted by state law—57 months in prison—to him.
Charles said, “Sending individuals to jail does not give me any joy.” “However, I believe it’s justified in this instance.”
Davis was charged with three more crimes after the plea deal.
In Hennepin County, Minnesota, Davis was accused in February for eluding police while driving a car. He received a three-year stay of imposition when he was sentenced in June.
In Ramsey County, Davis was arrested in April and accused with disobeying a protective order. He was given a 90-day workhouse term last month.
Following an arrest in April at a motel in Woodbury, the third charge—violating a domestic violence no-contact order—was brought. After looking at the license plate of Davis’ abandoned car and learning that he was sought for skipping his sentence on August 26, the policeman was able to locate Davis. According to authorities, Davis refused to leave a hotel room and said he was suicidal, had a gun, and had a kid with him. He ultimately gave up without any additional trouble.
In connection with four gunfights that took place over the course of three days in November 2020, Davis was charged in Ramsey County in March 2021 with two charges of drive-by shooting and two counts of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon. In one shootout, Davis was hurt. No other people were hurt.
In May 2021, a St. Paul officer sought to stop him over for his outstanding warrants, which led to the escaping police charge. According to the complaint, the officer gave up the chase after less than a mile out of concern for everyone’s safety.
Before imposing a sentence on Davis, Judge Charles said, “This is an extraordinarily severe case. Shootouts cannot occur in St. Paul’s streets. Additionally, we cannot allow motor vehicle fleeing to put the public’s safety in peril.