In order to combat period poverty in the community, Leon County now provides free menstruation products in public facilities that are controlled by the County.
The installation of labeled dispensers with free pads and tampons in gender-neutral and female toilets is the result of the new menstrual product initiative.
According to reports, Leon County parks, libraries, and other places operated by the County and Florida Department of Health had period product dispensers installed in their facilities.
The places that provide complimentary menstruation products are:
Parks and Greenways:
- J Lee Vause Park, 6024 Old Bainbridge Road
- Daniel B. Chaires Community Park, 4768 Chaires Cross Road
- Canopy Oaks Community Park, 3250 Point View Drive
- J. Lewis Hall Sr. Park, 1492 J. Lewis Hall Sr. Lane
- Miccosukee Community Park, 15011 Cromartie Road
- Fort Braden Community Park, 15100 Blountstown Highway
- Pedrick Pond Park, 5701 Mahan Dr
- Fred George Greenway Park, 3043 Capital Circle NW
- Apalachee Regional Park, 7300 Apalachee Parkway
- LeRoy Collins Leon County Main Library, 200 W. Park Avenue
- Dr. B.L. Perry, Jr. Branch Library, 2817 S. Adams Street
- Eastside Branch Library, 1583 Pedrick Road
- Lake Jackson Branch Library, 3840-300 N. Monroe Street
- Northeast Branch Library, 5513 Thomasville Road
- Woodville Branch Library, 8000 Old Woodville Road
- Jane G. Sauls Fort Braden Branch Library, 16327 Blountstown Highway
- Fort Braden Community Center, 16387 Blountstown Highway
- Dorothy Cooper Spence Community Center, 4768 Chaires Cross Road
- Miccosukee Community Center, 13887 Moccasin Gap Road
- Bradfordville Community Center, 6808 Beech Ridge Trail
- Leon County Courthouse, 301 S. Monroe Street
- Leon County Government Annex Building, 1st Floor, 315 S. Calhoun Street
- Leon County Human Services & Community Partnerships, 615 Paul Russell Road
Florida Department of Health Buildings:
- Florida Department of Health in Leon County Roberts & Stevens Clinic, 1515 Old Bainbridge Road
- Florida Department of Health in Leon County, 2965 Municipal Way
- Florida Department of Health in Leon County, 872 W. Orange Avenue
- The Molar Express – Florida Department of Health in Leon County, 912 Railroad Avenue
The County has also organized conferences and other gatherings to inform the public about historical poverty.
John Leeds, the operators director for the Office of Resource Stewardship, may be reached at (850) 606-5000 for further information.