Firefighters in South Florida are especially worried about fires at this time of year when people put up their Christmas decorations, light their menorahs, and crank up their space heaters.
After a duplex caught fire on Tuesday in Lauderhill, one family is still attempting to put the pieces together.
Fortunately, a little child who was home saw the fire, smelled smoke, and warned the parents who were also there, allowing them to safely leave the building. However, the child’s Christmas gifts have already been consumed.
“My children’s Christmas presents were inside, so I’m at a loss for words at the moment. I’m at a loss for words at the moment. I’m simply hurt “Rodney Smith, the child’s father, stated.
The Red Cross is assisting this father and his daughter, but there were also 14 other individuals on the property who required aid. Firefighters in the area are advising everyone to remain vigilant about fire safety during the holidays precisely for this reason.
Avoid any home fires over the holidays, advised City of Miami Fire Rescue Lieutenant Pete Sanchez. If you have a live Christmas tree, it’s imperative that you water it every day, especially in the first few days when it uses the most water. Don’t obstruct any windows, doors, or exits; keep the tree three feet away from any heating source.
A week ago, a mobile home in Davie caught fire and two individuals were sent to the hospital. Now that so many lights are plugged in, the likelihood of a fire has increased.
When connecting them, Sanchez advised using a surge protector or power strip wire and being careful not to overload it. If you plug it in and notice a short circuit, stop right away and try to get in touch with an electrician to make sure you don’t use that outlet since you risk starting a fire.
According to Sanchez, now is the ideal time to make sure your fire extinguisher is ready to use if necessary. Sanchez advised against leaving the Christmas lights on and the candles burning in the windows if you want to impress your neighbors. You should blow out the candles and switch out the Christmas tree lights every time you leave your house or go to bed.