Little Canada man charged for allegedly firing gun at youth football game

Lemar Eugene Anderson

A Little Canada man who allegedly fired a gun at a youth football game in St. Paul was charged Oct. 29 with a felony and could face up to five years in prison.

Lemar Eugene Anderson, 27, allegedly fired a single shot into the air after a fight broke out between adults supporting two youth football teams playing at the West Minnehaha Recreation Center the evening of Oct. 25.

He was charged in Ramsey County with a felony count of threats of violence and carrying a pistol without a permit in a public place, a gross misdemeanor. The maximum penalty for the felony is five years, a $10,000 fine, or both.

According to the criminal complaint against Anderson, witnesses told police a fight broke out between parents from the opposing teams and the altercation spilled onto the field. 

A man who was wearing a Frogtown youth football sweatshirt, who a witness identified as Anderson, allegedly pulled a handgun from his waistband and fired it. He then got into a white Chevy Tahoe and drove off.

“Children and parents were crying,” the criminal complaint says. “Children lay on the ground and coaches and parents attempted to cover them up to protect them from additional gunfire.”

Police found a spent shell casing on the football field, according to the criminal complaint.

Investigators identified the alleged shooter as Anderson. He met with police on Oct. 26 at St. Paul police headquarters for an interview and said he’d been at the football game with his uncle and cousin.

Anderson told police, per the criminal complaint, that his uncle had exchanged words with a parent from the opposing team and that when the fight broke out he tried to protect his uncle and was involved in the fight, but that he didn’t fire the shot. He said he and his uncle left in his Tahoe after.

According to the complaint, a witness identified Anderson from a photo line-up as the alleged shooter and police later arrested him.

Presented with the evidence police had gathered, Anderson allegedly admitted to firing a gun while at the game, according to the complaint. He said his uncle had exchanged words with a parent and the fight broke out. He allegedly said he saw a parent from the other team putting on gloves and feared that person was going to fire a gun, so he pulled his pistol from his waistband and shot into the air in order to diffuse the fight.

Anderson allegedly told police he was afraid because he was outnumbered in the fight. He said he and his uncle left after the shot was fired.

According to the criminal complaint, Anderson told police where he allegedly hid the handgun he had fired and took police to the location, where they found a Hi-Point .45 caliber pistol.

According to police, Anderson does not have a permit to carry a gun.

Anderson was released from custody on $5,000 bail. His first appearance in Ramsey County District Court is scheduled for Nov. 13.


—Mike Munzenrider

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here