Woman dead, husband arrested for murder

Dah Eh Ray

Killing caps a week of homicides on the East Side

A woman is dead and her husband was arrested and charged with murder after police responded to what was originally a fire call the morning of Aug. 18. 

This most recent killing follows two other homicides that happened within a week of each other on the East Side

St. Paul Police said officers were called to a home in the 1400 block of Payne Avenue around 10 a.m. Aug. 18 for a fire. When they arrived, they found a gravely injured woman who was later pronounced dead at the scene by St. Paul Fire medics.

The woman was identified as 58-year-old Dah Dah Ray. 

Her husband, Dah Eh Ray, 59, was arrested and then charged by the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office Aug. 20 with second-degree murder for allegedly killing her.

According to a criminal complaint against Dah Eh Ray and court records, Dah Dah Ray had a two-year order of protection against her husband that was served in May 2017. When she got the order of protection, she said that Dah Eh Ray had allegedly threatened to kill her many times, burn the house down and kill himself.

When police arrived to the home on Aug. 18, they allegedly found Dah Eh Ray with blood on his face, hands and shirt, and he appeared drunk, according to the criminal complaint. A breathalyzer test showed his blood alcohol level to be .215. 

Responders found Dah Dah Ray on a bed upstairs covered in blood with a knife nearby and a piece of paper on her that said “rest in peace,” written in Karen. As police processed the scene, the couple’s daughter showed up and said she lived there with her parents and told police about the order of protection. According to the criminal complaint, there were also four spots on the floor where it appeared someone had tried to start a fire.

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office autopsy found that Dah Dah Ray had 15 stab wounds to her chest, along with stab wounds on her arms and hands. The cause of death was determined to be extreme blood loss.  

During the investigation, various family members spoke to police with the help of a translator, the complaint said, saying the couple argued frequently and that Dah Dah Ray was afraid of her husband. A cousin told police she was was living with Dah Dah Ray for the past year and that Dah Eh Ray and Dah Dah Ray had been in the home arguing the morning she was killed, according to the complaint. The cousin said the couple had gone upstairs and were yelling when she went out to smoke. The cousin said that a while later, Dah Eh Ray allegedly came downstairs and told her his wife was dead and to call the police. 

The couple’s grandson was also staying at the home overnight, according to the criminal complaint. He said he was in the bathroom not feeling well for most of the stay, but that at one point his aunt told him to call the police because Dah Dah Ray “did not look good.” He said his grandfather, Dah Eh Ray, allegedly told him to get out of the house because he was going to burn it down.

Because of Dah Eh Ray’s intoxication level, he was not interviewed right away. According to the complaint, while he sat in the interview room, Dah Eh Ray was speaking to himself. A Karen-speaking officer said he was allegedly saying he wanted to die, that he killed his wife, that his wife was dead, that he loved his wife and that his wife was disrespecting him.

Dah Eh Ray was convicted of a misdemeanor in October 2017 for violating the order of protection. 

His next court date for the murder charge had not yet been scheduled as of press time. 


A bloody week

Dah Dah Ray’s killing followed two others that took place on the East Side in mid-August. 

On Aug. 12, 21-year-old Devon L. Goode was shot dead near Harding High School during a robbery. A 19-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder for the killing.

On Aug. 16, St. Paul Police were called to the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue East around 2:20 p.m. for a man, later identified as Lil R. Molin, 26, of St. Paul, who was critically injured. Molin was found near the intersection of Maryland and Prosperity avenues and was brought to Regions Hospital, where he later died. 

An autopsy showed he died from a gunshot wound. St. Paul Police said the investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made. 

Anyone with information about the case is asked to called 651-266-5650


— Marjorie Otto

Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here