Man shot by clerk in Inver Grove Heights robbery is charged

He remains in the hospital

A 32-year-old Crystal man has been charged in connection with an Aug. 17 armed robbery of an Inver Grove Heights Verizon store, during which he was shot by the store clerk.

Jamaal Marquie Mays was charged Aug. 28 with first-degree aggravated robbery and two firearm violations. All three charges are felonies. 

Around 11 a.m., Inver Grove Heights police were dispatched to the store on a report of robbery in progress, according to a police report. Once they arrived at the location, officers encountered an employee who said he shot one of the robbery suspects in self defense — the suspect was later identified as Mays. 

The employee had put both his gun and the alleged robber’s gun on a window ledge, and he showed the officer his permit to carry. The gun allegedly used by Mays had its serial number scratched off, police said.

Mays suffered from two gunshot wounds, and he was given first aid before he was transported to Regions Hospital. 

According to the police report, the employee told officers that Mays and another man entered the store and asked for assistance in looking at phones. The employee showed the men several phones, but was suspicious because they wanted to look at different phones. 

While in the back room getting a phone, he observed movement on a security video monitor. When the employee exited the back room, Mays allegedly pointed a gun at his head and told him, “Make it easy on me.” 

The employee, believing Mays was going to shoot him, pulled his own gun from his waistband and fired three shots. The other man fled the store. 

No one else was inside the store at the time of the shooting. An employee in a neighboring business was grazed by a bullet that went through a wall.

In a press release, Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom said Mays was still in the hospital but is expected to survive. His release date is unknown, so a first court appearance date has not been set. 

Mays was previously convicted of second-degree assault in October 2003.

The second man is still at large. Inver Grove Heights Lt. Joshua Otis said Aug. 28 the Honda Odyssey minivan the second man fled in had been located with the help of the St. Paul Police Department, and it will be searched.

Anyone with information regarding the second man is asked to contact the Inver Grove Heights Police Department at 651-450-2525.


— Hannah Burlingame 


Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here