Hill-Murray dominates Tartan to the tune of 5-0

In the second game of a soccer doubleheader at Hill-Murray Tuesday, Sept. 15, the Hill-Murray girls dominated play over Tartan and ended up on top of a 5-0 score.

The Pioneers controlled the action to such an extent that they led the shots-on-goal tally 21-4. Hill-Murray also had the upper hand on corner kicks, 6-1.

After his team's shutout win, Hill-Murray head coach Simbo N'diaye said, "In the second half we made some changes because we saw they were pushing tight. I had my forwards play wider.

"Everyone on our team is working to be better. Right now we're kind of on a roll. We just have to keep working hard and improving each game, and we will be OK."

From the Tartan point of view, coach Erik Tvedten said, "We just didn't have it today. We have to be more aggressive and go more to the ball.

"Hill-Murray is a good team. They won a lot of balls against us. I wish we would have a double round so we could get to play them again. I'm sure we'd do better the second time around, but we don't, so we won't know," Tvedten said.

It took just two minutes into the game for the Pioneers to put what would turn out to be the winning goal on the scoreboard.

Maddie Conners, who was an All-State player last season, got the ball in the center, worked her way to the goalmouth and booted a laser shot to the back twines.

A couple of minutes later Ella French missed a shot just wide of the right post. Six minutes later, Kiley Knutson fired a bullet wide right of the Tartan goal that probably made Tartan netminder Claire Meeder feel she was in a shooting gallery.

A little later Claire Fletcher picked off a loose ball at the 35-yard line. The freshman forward moved right up the middle, deked around a defender and from 22 yards out let fly a hard shot that found the back mesh at 14:15.

As the Pioneers continued their barrage on the Tartan goal, Conners corralled a ball shot off a Hill-Murray free kick and banged a header just under the cross bar for her second tally at 28:51.

Then, before the first 40-minutes came to a close, senior forward Jenna Meader fired a wicked blast to the back twines at 36:16 for a 4-0 Hill-Murray lead at the end of the half.

At 13:16 in the second half, Ella Hulsey cornered another free kick and buried a shot into the back of the net to widen the Pioneers' lead to 5-0.

Hill-Murray boosted its record to 1-0 in the Metro East Conference and 1-1-3 overall. The loss dropped Tartan to 0-5.

Wally Wakefield can be reached at wwakefield@lillienews.com or at 651-748-7826.



Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here