North stays undefeated with 2-1 win over Hill-Murray

At the end of the 80-minutes of hard-fought play Thursday, Sept. 10, it was the visiting North High Polars who gained the upper hand in a 2-1 game with Hill-Murray.

"All's well that ends well," said North coach Casey Holm with a smile. "We dominated play for the whole game. We just didn't get in there in good position to score, which is a credit to the Hill-Murray team and coaching staff. They played hard and tried to beat us and then go for the tie.

"I was very, very glad with the way it turned out. We had the crowd behind us. You could just tell. We played hard, and we knew it was coming and it finally did."

Hill-Murray coach Joe Voeller stated, "Our defense came through for the most part," adding that the team adjusted its game plan going into the match with the Polars..

"We normally don't play like this, but we knew what North was all about and the players they have.  We decided to 'sit in' for most of the game and play more defensive than we usually do.

"Our goal was to either win or tie, and we almost had that. But it is what it is. It was a good, fun game and now we're going to look at the rest of the year and go on from here."

Just 1:13 into the game, North opened the scoring when sophomore forward Ataniel Claremond took a good feed and buried a shot into the back mesh.

The score remained at 1-0 until just past midway into the game when a Hill-Murray free kick from 31 yards to the right of the North net was taken by junior midfielder Ben Krzyzowski. The ball sailed high and was partially blocked by North keeper Malachy Zamacona before skipping just under the crossbar and into the net at 21:41 of the first 40 minutes of play.

With the Hill-Murray defense stiffening enough to force a 1-1 tie in the contest, the Polars finally broke free when Claremond closed in from the left of the Hill-Murray net. His shot - a rebound - plowed into the back twines at 32.31 for his second tally of the   game, just 7:27 in front of the final horn.

With the Polars continuing to dominate play, their fans counted down the final seconds as time ran out on the Pioneers. 

North finished the contest with a shots-on-goal advantage of 13-5 and a 5-0 corner kick leeway but only a one-goal advantage.

Wally Wakefield can be reached at or at 651-748-7826.


Rate this article: 
No votes yet
Comment Here